Saturday 29 July 2017

Beef Chow Mein

I am constantly on the look out for new recipes that can be pre-prepared and cooked at the last minute. This is one of my favourites, not least because my nearly 3 year old likes it, but because I chop everything up the night before and then all I have to do is throw it in the wok when I get home from work - 20 minutes later and dinner is on the table.


 
Ingredients
  • olive oil
  • 500g beef mince (sometimes I use pork mince)
  • brown onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 tbls curry powder (or less if you prefer)
  • 1 carrot, finely chopped or grated
  • 2 celery stalks, sliced thinly
  • 150g mushrooms, sliced thinly
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1/3 cup oyster sauce
  • 2 tbls soy sauce
  • 450g thin egg noodles
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • 1/2 cup frozen beans (or any other vegetable)
  • 1/2 small chinese cabbage, shredded
Method
Heat oil in a wok and stir-fry the mince, onion and garlic until mince is browned. Add curry powder and stir-fry for about 1 minute or until fragrant. Add all the vegetables and stir-fry until vegies have softened. Add stock, sauces and noodles and stir gently until combined. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, tossing occasionally for about 5 minutes or until vegies are soft enough.
 
Serve and EAT! Yum!

I'll let you in on a secret - the other week I asked my mum to make this for me while she was looking after my little girl. And I tell you what, no matter how old you are, there is no subsitute to your mum's cooking. She made it much tastier than I ever have.

If you don't have the luxury having someone who can cook for you, the key is to chop up all the vegies the night before. Whether you work or not, a little planning and preparation goes a long way and can reduce a lot of the stress about dinners.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment