Saturday 20 May 2017

Apple and Spice Biscuits

I tried out a new recipe this weekend. As I was pouring rice bubbles into a Tupperware container I noticed this recipe on the back of the pack. My 2 and a half year old and I made them together and she managed to lick more of the mixture than I would have liked, but it was fun. There's nothing better than teaching your kids new skills like cooking, in the hope that they will be able to cook for you one day. This was quick, easy and very tasty. They also made plenty of cookies!


 
Ingredients
1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup margarine (I used butter)
1/4 cup apple puree ( 1 apple peeled, cored and cooked in a little bit of water will do)
1/4 cup honey
2 egg whites, beaten lightly
2 1/2 cups self raising flour
3 cups rice bubbles crushed to 1 cup (this was the fun part!)
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (to your taste - 2 tsp was a little too strong for me)
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
 
Method
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Beat sugar and butter in a small bowl with an electric mixer until combined and light in colour; transfer to a large bowl. Stir in apple puree, honey and egg whites (the mixture will appear curdled at this stage). Stir in combined rice bubbles, flour and spices; mix until well combined. Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls; place 5cm apart on lightly greased oven trays. Press down lightly with a fork (or your fingers as my daughter did).
3. Bake in oven for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks and store in an airtight container.

Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment